This weeks midweek meal is a chicken and chorizo rice pot.
This came about when I went through a phase of being bored of the same ole meals. I think we all go through this sometimes, and it can be made harder when not everyone likes the same things.
I’d been suggesting lots of new meals, but there was always someone saying “no, I won’t like that”.
I then said how about cajun chicken and rice, and wow, everyone actually agreed!
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts chopped
- 75g chorizo sliced or diced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 300g long grain rice
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1 sachet or 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan, cook the chicken until sealed.
- Add the onions, pepper, garlic cook for a few more minutes
- Stir in the rice, chorizo and cajun seasoning
- Finally add the tomatoes and chicken stock, stir well
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 mins until rice is tender
And that is it, really simple, everything in one pot. We all enjoyed it.
I love trying new things, it’s not always a success ( if you watch our You Tube channel you’ll know what a disaster my first ever toad in the hole was) but it just makes meal times a bit more varied.
Some times I don’t even tell the rest of the family anymore, I just put it on the table and it works better. They tend not to moan when it’s just put in front of them. I did this with the chicken curry I made recently, everyone loved it, probably because they didn’t know what to expect on the table.
Chicken is the meat that we eat the most, so I’m always thinking of new flavours for it, next on the list will be paprika chicken, not sure how or what with yet.
See you soon