This weeks midweek meal is a chicken and new potato salad bar.
I make this quite a lot. The kids really like it, probably because they can help themselves to as much or as little as they want. They can also make sure they only have on their plate what they like.
Obviously you can have whatever you want in your salad, we mix it up all the time. Sometimes we ave boiled eggs or savoury rice instead of potatoes or a gammon instead of chicken. If everyone is really hungry I’ll also put out some bread rolls or put out a pizza so everyone gets a slice each.
- carrots sliced into batons or strips
- cucumber diced
- on the vine tomatoes sliced
- grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tin sweetcorn
- fresh beetroot sliced
- 1 white or red onion
- balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 bag of new salad potatoes
- 1 bag of crunchy salad leaves
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 3 chicken breasts
- Italian pasta salad
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat the grill for the chicken breasts. When pre heated cook for 12 -15 minutes. In a large bowl put the bag of salad leaves in, slice both the peppers and toss those in too. When the chicken is ready let it rest for a few minutes before slicing into large chunks and rest on top of the peppers and salad leaves. Add ground black pepper.
2. Boil the potatoes for 20 mins until soft, slice into thick slices and put them in a bowl add salt and pepper.
3. In 6 small bowls, add the carrot batons, diced cucumber,sliced tomatoes, grated cheddar cheese, a tin of sweetcorn and in the last bowl add the sliced beetroot and slice the onion and mix the wo with some balsamic vinegar. Have some coleslaw and italian past salad on the side too.
4. Finally bring it all together, putting out any condiments and dressings you want.
And that’s it, our chicken and new potato salad bar, it takes around half an hour you can prep and slice while the chicken and potatoes are cooking. Now that summer is hopefully on the way, our slow cooker meals take a bit of a back seat and we make a lot more salad based meals, it’s nice to eat outside maybe with burgers or hot dogs. The kids all like salad but it’s actually Casey’s favourite meal, he would eat a salad everyday for lunch and dinner, he loves everything in it and can even eat more than me or James he just loves it a real salad monster!!! strange child haha.
See you soon