This weeks mid-week meal is barbecue chicken with orzo pasta. It’s a new one for me, I was trying to make new meals for the warmer weather. This is definitely a lot lighter than hearty winter dishes or penne and fusilli pasta.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 3 mini breast fillets per person
- any barbecue marinade
- 250g orzo pasta
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 white onion
- a handful of mushrooms
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp basil
- dash of Worcester sauce
- dash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 green chilli
- salt and pepper
1. Marinade the chicken at least 15 mins before cooking, I marinade this chicken the night before.
2. Prep all the veggies, slice the onions, peppers ,mushrooms, chilli.
3. Heat the oil in a griddle pan, cook the chicken turning frequently until fully cooked inside and golden brown outside.
4. Cook the orzo in boiling water for 8 minutes uncovered then drain.
5. Heat the oil in a pan and add the veggies, when softened add the tin of tomatoes, herbs, Worcester sauce, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. Drain the chickpeas and add those too. Cook for a further 10 – 15 minutes.
6. Finally pull everything together, you can serve how you want. We plated it all separately, but of course you can mix it all together including the chicken and have it as a big one pot meal.
James really enjoyed this meal, the chopped chilli I’d put in had really give it a kick, and it was a bit too spicy for the kids. I’d only put half a chilli in next time and I was glad I hadn’t mixed it all together as they enjoyed the chicken and orzo. We don’t have orzo that often and it was really nice having pasta without that heavy full feeling. So the verdict is, we would definitely have this again.
See you soon